A United Way funded program
As a leading nonprofit for strengthening community through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility, the Y believes that all people should be able to live life to its fullest, healthiest potential. In the YMCA’s Diabetes Prevention Program, a trained lifestyle coach will introduce topics in a supportive, small group environment, and encourage participants as they explore how healthy eating, physical activity, and behavior changes can benefit their health.
How it Works:
- The 12-month group-based program consists of 7 one-hour, weekly sessions, followed by monthly sessions, led by a coach who facilitates a small group of people with similar goals.
- Discuss topics such as healthy eating, increasing physical activity, reducing stress, problem solving, and much more.
- Stay motivated to maintain progress towards program goals, with monthly maintenance sessions.
- Lose 7% of your body weight
- Gradually increase your physical activity to 150 minutes per week.
You Will Do This By Learning Strategies For:
- Healthy Eating - Eating smaller portions, reducing fat in your diet, and discovering healthier food options have been proven to help prevent the onset of type 2 diabetes (Source: CDC).
- Increasing Physical Activity - Studies have repeatedly shown that moderate physical activity (walking, swimming, mowing the lawn) for as little as 30 minutes, five days a week, can help improve your blood pressure, raise your good cholesterol, and prevent blood flow problems (Source: CDC).
- Losing Weight - It has been shown that reducing your body weight by even a small amount (as little as 7%) can offer tremendous benefits for people at risk for diabetes (Source: CDC).
Based on research funded by the National Institutes of Health, the program has been shown to reduce the number of new cases of type 2 diabetes by as much as 58%. The reduction was even greater, 71%, among adults aged 60 years or older.
This is a United Way funded program and we strive to make it affordable to everyone. If you are not a Y member the cost is minimal and includes access to the Y and a personal trainer.
Next class begins soon. See our program guide for more information or contact Brandi Hibbs at email@example.com.